Connect with us

Features

Celebrities, Classism & Why the Average Nigerian Aspires to Great Wealth

Published

on

In the words of the great Frank OceanWhy see the world when you got the beach?

It’s possible to be so privileged that you become completely blinded to the realities of others. And it is possible that, because of this blindness, you begin to oppress others with this privilege.

A few recent instances come to mind.

The mainstream media has been pushing for a more active citizenry, urging the Nigerian youth to get involved and get their Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) in the just-concluded Continous Voter Registration (CVR) exercise.

Nigerian celebrities keyed into this, going out to polling units to get their PVCs, sharing photos and videos of their experiences on social media.

What they didn’t show us, though, was the other side: how with their entourage of bodyguards and photographers they sailed past the masses on the queue.

People have shared their personal experiences, Reekado Banks and DJ Cuppy arriving at their polling units and simply walking in, smiling past and ignoring the queue.

And it sort of makes sense. Many of us would do the same were we in their shoes.

Which begs the question, is classism standing in the way of our journey to becoming a better country?

We see it everywhere: Nigerian roads are awful so government officials buy SUVs rather than use their positions to ensure the roads are fixed; security is terrible on interstate roads, but, hey, they’ll either travel with a convoy or fly; Nigerian schools are terrible? they can just fly their children outside the country; Nigerian hospitals when they’re sick? Why? London, Germany, India exists.

The rules simply are different for the rich.

Davido arrived at the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) camp on Thursday and he was driven into the camp premises. Soon after, he jetted out of the country. DJ Cuppy & Reekado Banks walked past people who had been waiting for hours, got registered, and left.

Which is why the average Nigerian aspires to wealth; so that he too may oppress back, show them!

We want to be rich so that we too may become isolated away from the hardship the common man has to suffer. Leave the common man to his own struggle.

Imagine if the rich had to go through all of the things the average Nigerian goes through; if they had to arrive at the NYSC Camp with their luggage over their heads; if they had to arrive at polling units as early as daybreak just so they could register to vote sometime around noon, would Nigeria stay the same?

Photo Credit: Instagram/cuppymusic

11 Comments

1. baby4u2

September 1, 2018 at 1:54 pm

Good questions. I hope the privilege are reading this. This is why they keep on showing money, clothes and trips online instead of speaking out against hardship. Some of them even grew up in civilized countries and can’t even pass down what they learned.

They are the problems in naija. INEC needs to look into this mess.

2. by_stander

September 1, 2018 at 4:29 pm

You raise very important questions.

But the solution is never to wish your fellow man to suffer like you have, which if you think about it is the same thing that doesn’t solve a problem.

Look at it this way, they have done a proof of concept that is possible to do this things in a much better way.

So may be there should be express or remote services, maybe there should better service management. Maybe people should pay more for quicker services, and that money used to fund the service to make it better.

The celebrity is one person and the service is actually the same as for each of the thousands of people. If you were the only person on the queue you probably get the same service in the same time as the celeb.

I dont want to sound like am making excuses, but there are security reasons and situations you dont want have a well known celeb on a queue, and its not just for the safety of the celeb.

infact if there was an express service, it would be mandatory they use it.

I am a person that believes that protecting the inalienable rights of humans can only lead to greater things. if the law says you have to serve for 1 year, its should also give a change to opt out and or extend your service for your personal reasons. And if you choose to opt you also opt of the benefits of completing the program.

If the law assumes human beings are robots and or animals it can also say they automatically opt out by taking a break. ( I dont want to go into my issues with Lawyers ad Accountants here)

You can not force another “Human Being” to do anything they do not want to do. thats when you start to have flaws and problems. Thats the very foundation of slavery.

You can not expect someone to give up or face consequence that can affect their economic liberty or right to earn a living, now or anytime in the future. We dont know what previous commitment he had or that came up.

But if he is not able to extend his service or opt out then he has been striped of his inalienable rights.

And this is applicable to everyone. If the rule is that its 1yr for everyone then everyone has to do their one year, but there has to be bases on which it can be extend or they can opt out.

When someone “forges” their certificate however to gain the benefits of completing the program then that is something entirely different. That is a wrongdoer with intent that you can not make any argument for – that’s to say they are trying to gain from where they did not sow.

If you understand all these, you understand why it is bad to have laws that infringe on inalienable rights of human beings and why wrongdoers that have nothing to sow but will like to gain prefer you have such laws.

“Everybody is a criminal”

In fact it should be illegal to write bad laws and policies that infringe on inalienable rights of human beings with very hash consequences due to the negative and adverse effects it can have on society.

We should treat it like a pharmaceutical making and selling people a drug that causes cancer and eventually death.

• by_stander

September 3, 2018 at 5:28 pm

maybe there should be better service management *
      you dont want to have a well known*
      it should also give a chance to opt out *
      And if you choose to opt out you also opt out of the benefits of completing the program.

3. Wendy

September 1, 2018 at 4:38 pm

Makes me wonder who the rich Nigerian votes for….
    If they’re so out of touch with reality and irony of being oppressive at the polling station, I mean they definitely just went to get their cards so they can pose with it on Instagram.

Am I surprised at Cuppy? No. The Otedola family has done a massive (-marginally successful) PR campaign that has now normalized them. Prancing around DJing and posing in expensive clothes at exotic locations… We’ve been slowly conditioned to forget that they’re the bedrock of the crippled energy and power sector in Nigeria. But you can’t fool all the people all the time, little incidences like this shows their core family values of bribery and corruption.

4. Cocoa

September 1, 2018 at 7:10 pm

The self entitlement they have is the very one you guys gave to them…some will open their mouth and call themselves degrading names like” fans” , “groupie” etc and call these people their “idol”.

SIGH.

Some of you give these people even more honour than you give God and your parents. Dont complain when they act like mini gods..shebi they are your “idol”. and they “give you life” .

As for me ….there is nothing like CELEBRITY. I celebrate God’s work in people lives. ONLY HIM will get the glory.

5. Ajala & Foodie

September 1, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Uhmm, ain’t that the truth!!! I actually want to believe that there are people who want to be rich financially so they can just be comfortable i.e pay the bills, afford some luxury like going on vacation, able to get a good vehicle and hopefully help others. I know the #pepperdemgang dey but I want to still hold out hope that there are people like this in Nigeria. Nevertheless, these days I be believing I am the one living in a bubble with my optimism. The DJ Cuppy one I even noticed she was not the one holding the PVC card, she had to get the card from somebody else when she wanted to ?to pose

6. Ajala & Foodie

September 1, 2018 at 11:00 pm

BTW I hope she will not come and say she is making a statement with this her latest “fashion trend” i.e wearing Ankara old school style Iro and bubba. Cos you know we will soon hear that. Before anyone comes for me, I am not against her wearing whatever, I just could care less for the why.

7. Frank

September 2, 2018 at 8:04 pm

This brings me to the incident that happened on my way back from Nigeria. Here I am at the airport waiting in line like a normal human being should. From no where comes this nonentity claiming to be a chief approached in all his arrogance and decides because his a chief he’s better than everyone in line. But he met the wrong person on that day. Whenever I get real mad my “Akata” jumps out. Told both him and the immigration person there’s no way on earth he’s gonna go before me, he might go after me but not before me. One look at me and they knew they wanted no problem with this “Akata”. I told him if he felt he was really important he should’ve gotten a 1st class ticket. FOH with your stupid as chief..

• by_stander

September 3, 2018 at 10:18 am

I like your wise thinking, its exactly that. If he feels important enough, he should have bought the 1st class ticket which would have granted him an express service.

The so called chief(lawyers and accountants included) would be amongst the people that wouldnt want others to express their rights to purchase a 1st class ticket, if given authority to decide, because it would call their bluff or atleast put the burden of proof on them to demonstrate.

So interest they would rather nobody be able to purchase the first class ticket – so they can operate on hypothesis they’re of a higher class than everyone else.

The rule of thumb is never ever trust anyone that tries to limit the inalienable rights of others, no matter what crappy explanation they give.

• by_stander

September 3, 2018 at 10:20 am

instead*

8. Ovadje

September 4, 2018 at 5:57 am

In this particular instance, I have no problem with it if their registration would motivate the hundreds of thousands of youth who follow them on social media or otherwise admire them to get off their own kister and go register.